Monday 19 January 2009

Danger: Husband in Grocery Store

Bless him - he loves to go shopping for groceries but despite returning home with 15 bags of stuff (never less, oh no. Bulk shopping is the ONLY shopping for him) I have nothing to cook - especially nothing child friendly.

I have done a small and informal survey and I am not the only unlucky one. My neighbour's husband comes home with foie gras and pheasant, and a friend's husband buys nothing but frozen cheap shite TV dinners and tins of inappropriate sauce. So mine went shopping yesterday. He came back with a dozen hot cross buns which will go off in three days - 16 apples (and we already had about 6 in the house) - the biggest block of butter I have ever seen (we have plenty already) - beers, of course - 5 tubs of yoghurt which only he eats - and a year's worth of oatmeal. No meat, no vegetables, in short, no dinner. But he was so excited...especially about the hot cross buns which were on a buy-one-get-one-free deal. Can someone please teach my husband how to food shop?

Retro Beef Stroganoff

I realise my recipes recently have been a little more time consuming than what I, the Happy Working Mother, promises above. I think the problem is I mostly cook well on weekends when I have a touch more time, and this recipe is no exception. BUT, it is very simple and quite delicious.

Slice up half a rump or sirloin steak per person into even finger sized strips. Put them in a plastic bag with some garlic salt, hot paprika and pepper. Shake around the bag until all the meat is well coated and set aside. I left mine for 1/2 a day. Cut a generous amount of mushrooms into halves or quarters so they are still a good size and slice up one or two onions. Fry the onions in olive oil until they are translucent, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes then switch off the heat. In a wok, or big frying pan, melt a fair bit of butter and get it as hot as you dare before adding the beef, stir frying it until it is browned but still rare inside. 2-3 minutes max should do it. Now tip the beef into the onions and mushrooms, add one big tablespoon of smooth french mustard and mix together. Add a pot of sour cream which should result in enough sauce to coat some noodles. I served this on papardelle (wide flat noodles) with some broccoli on the side. Yum.

No comments: