Monday 8 December 2008

What Knickers are you Wearing...?

I recently read an article about the woman who started Spanx, which, for those of you who don't know, is THE brand of what I call "Grannypants". We're talking about those big, beige, hold-yer-flaws-in pants. And if you don't need or own a pair, then GO AWAY - this blog is not for you (just yet).
So, I share with you my secret - I wore some on my wedding day and my husband doesn't know to this day. I had bought a pair of divine lacy wedding knickers, sure to inspire him even after all that partying, booze and smiling, but with my style of wedding gown, the desired effect was only to be achieved with the big pants. Before we got back to the hotel room I did the quick switch, and hey presto, none-of-your-business...
The thing is, my husband knows about these pants. Not in any great detail, but he knows I own a pair (it's more like 5 or 6 now). Last week I had lunch with a friend. She said she would never ever let her husband know that she wore grannypants. So, am I the odd one out?

Butternut Squash Soup

It's that soup time of year, and although this recipe is for butternut squash soup, you can apply the basics of this to pretty much any vegetable.

Peel, deseed and cut two butternut squashes and two apples into cubes. Chop two onions into small pieces. Get your hands on some vegetable or chicken stock. I use anything - cubes, storebought and occasionally I have some homemade.

Choose a large pot and fry the onion in some olive oil for a minute or two together with two tsps of curry powder. Add all the butternut squash and apple cubes. You'll have to keep stirring as you don't want anything to burn. Once the squash is getting a bit mulchy, add a bit of stock to continue the cooking process (hot or warm is best but don't worry) and cook until the squash is soft. Remove from the heat and use a handheld blender to puree it down to a smooth paste. Add one cup of freshly squeezed orange juice and keep stirring. Depending on whether you like a thick soup that sticks to the spoon, or a thinner one, add stock until it's the right consistency. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. When I serve this I put a dollop of plain greek yoghurt in the bowl, and then add the hot soup.

No comments: