Wednesday 12 November 2008

Are You a Fake?

I talk a lot. I talk to clients, I talk to friends, I talk to my family. So, I found it uncanny when within the space of a week, I found myself having the same conversation with two different girlfriends (who don't know each other).
One is a television producer, the other does special consultancy work for a bank. Both of them are working mothers, at the top of their game and really very successful, and yet, they both whispered to me, "one day I fear everyone is going to figure out that I am a fake...an imposter". Have you ever thought that of yourself? We struggle hard at a career over a number of years, we make sacrifices, we work long hours, we get promoted, we get headhunted, or we start our own companies. Is the end result a bunch of people who think that one day everyone will realise that they don't deserve to be where they are?
Ladies, if any of this resonated with you, have a hard look at your job title, your salary, your office (if you have one) and the snivelly kids who work under your direction. Know in your heart that if you are top of your game it's because your talent got you there. Don't forget that.

It's time I added a pudding to this blog. Roasted fruit might horrify you, but it ticks my boxes as it takes moments, it's idiot proof (I mean that kindly) and it can be prepped ahead of time.

Roast Fruit with Vanilla Mascarpone

The star of this dish is the mascarpone. It's italian cream cheese which I have been able to buy pretty much anywhere. You'll also need a fresh vanilla pod, some runny honey and the fruit itself.

First prepare the mascarpone: Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the oily seeds with a teaspoon. Add that to the cheese together with a good trickle of honey or maple syrup. Stir it all together (a little effort needed here!) and taste. It should be vanillified (is there such a word?) and a touch sweet. Store it in the fridge. If you do this the day before, the vanilla flavour will become intensified throughout.

Now the fruit: I like to roast pears and peaches. Pit and peel the peaches and de-core and peel the pears (neither need to be ripe). Cut both into quarters and scatter in a roasting dish. Pour in some ginger wine so it's a quarter inch deep. Add a cinammon stick, some cloves and a sprinkle of ground nutmeg. Bake at 200C for 35 minutes or until the fruit is softened. Serve it hot with some of the juice and a generous dollop of the mascarpone.

Bonus recipe idea!
Sometimes I make just the vanilla mascarpone and serve it with fresh raspberries.

No comments: