Tuesday 16 September 2008

Cooking Well IS for Wimps Like you and me

My friends think I am a great cook, which makes me chuckle. I have worked around the edges of the food industry for years now, so I do know a lot about food, but that doesn't make me a great cook. I see myself more as a competant flavour combiner. This means you won't find fancy cookery methods, or homemade pastry recipes here and no! I don't make my own jam. I think the reason friends think I am a good cook is because I just get on with it, and I have lots of ideas. You might be freaked out or relieved to know I will rarely give specific measurements in my recipes. Use your eyes, your nose and your taste buds. And don't be scared of using salt. It has yet to be proven scientifically that salt is bad for you - honestly!



I often make this for a mid week dinner party as it's easy and tasty.

Thai Prawn (Shrimp) Curry

Fry two chopped onions and an (optional) chopped red pepper for a minute or two in vegetable oil. Stir in a big spoonful (or two if you like it hot) of Thai curry paste - red or green doesn't matter but I prefer red - and lots of pepper and a generous pinch of salt. Add one tin of coconut milk and some soured cream or creme fraiche to thicken it a bit (about 3 tbsps). Let the mixture get hot, and taste it: Too spicy? Add more of the cream/creme fraiche. Too bland? Add more curry paste. Just before serving, add some cooked prawns and bring the whole mixture back up to a good simmer, then switch it off and put a lid on it. If you overcook prawns they turn into nasty little ocean bullets. I use tiger prawns as they are quite hardy and retain their firm texture and please don't use tinned prawns - yeucchh! The trick is just to warm the prawns through and not to cook them anymore. Serve with rice and a spoon as it is a bit liquid.

No comments: